Las Palmas, Rotterdam
This former warehouse building on Wilhelminakade has been revivified and renovated. Built in 1953 to a design by Van den Broek & Bakema, it spent several decades as a workshop building for the Holland America Line. It is the only surviving witness on Wilhelmina Pier of the period of post-war revolution in building and Rotterdam's rebirth as a city and for that reason is of great cultural-historical and architectural value. A thorough renovation of the existing cladding has reinstated its original ambience.
The fully restored Las Palmas is a mixed-use building of cultural and commercial ends. It now houses the Nederlands Fotomuseum, a school of new media and a large events hall along with an exclusive fish restaurant and an array of companies. The building has been enlarged with a penthouse housing the headquarters of OVG, a real estate developer.
OBR OntwikkelingsBedrijf Rotterdam and OVG Projectontwikkeling
Benthem Crouwel Architekten
Gross floor area